General Purpose Hand 4 Day Training Course (GPH) 5 days if first aid training is required.
MAR10220 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal)
Cost: $995 plus $35 for Australian Maritime Safety Authority Mandatory practical assessment and First Aid $120 (if required)
AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) application fee $163 + $126 administration fee
|General Purpose Hand Near Coastal||21/11/2023 - 25/11/2023||Enrolling||0830-1630||West Gosford||Completed|
If you are looking to kick start your career on a Commercial vessel, you will need to attain the entry-level rank of General Purpose Hand. Often referred to as a Deckhand, the licence will allow you to embark on a maritime career across a wide range of vessels, such as ferries, Custom Patrol Boats, dive boats, tourist vessels, and trawlers.
General Purpose Hand
As a General Purpose Hand, you will form part of the general crew that reports to the Master to ensure the safety of the fellow crew, passengers and the Commercial vessel itself.
To work as a GPH it is imperative that you complete the Basic Safety Training that is a prerequisite for all Commercial crew members. The training for GPH will equip you with the basic seamanship skills required to obtain the licence. The training will cover aspects of seamanship such as Nautical Terminology, Vessel Safety Management Systems, Knots, Survival at Sea and Safe Work Guidelines amongst others.
Once you have completed the course you will be issued with a Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal) MAR10220.
To register your interest in a deckhand Course, please use the online form. If you would like further information about this, or any of the M.A.S.T. courses, please call on 1300 302 123.
Units of competency
GPH (General Purpose Hand) Course Information
Full title: MAR10220 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal)
- MARB053 Assist with routine maintenance on a commercial vessel
- MARF027 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF028 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF029 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF030 Survive at sea using survival craft
- MARG012 Work as part of a crew on a commercial vessel
- MARN016 Apply general purpose hand skills aboard a commercial vessel
- HLTAID011 Provide First Aid
- MARB033 Assist with routine maintenance of a vessel