General Purpose Hand (GPH) MAR10313 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose hand Near Coastal)
|General Purpose Hand||23/06/2018||24/06/2018||Enrolling||0830-1630||Woy Woy|
|General Purpose Hand||26/06/2018||27/06/2018||Enrolling||0830-1630||Woy Woy|
|General Purpose Hand||06/10/2018||09/10/2018||Enrolling||0830-1630||Woy Woy|
If you are looking to kick start your career on a Commercial vessel, you will need to attain the entry-level rank of General Purpose Hand. Often referred to as a Deckhand, the licence will allow you to embark on a maritime career across a wide range of vessels, such as ferries, Custom Patrol Boats, dive boats, tourist vessels, and trawlers.
General Purpose Hand
As a General Purpose Hand, you will form part of the general crew that reports to the Master to ensure the safety of the fellow crew, passengers and the Commercial vessel itself.
To work as a GPH it is imperative that you complete the Basic Safety Training that is a prerequisite for all Commercial crewmembers. The training for GPH will equip you with the basic seamanship skills required to obtain the licence. The training will cover aspects of seamanship such as Nautical Terminology, Vessel Safety Management Systems, Knots, Survival at Sea and Safe Work Guidelines amongst others.
Once you have completed the course you will be issued with a Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal) MAR10313.
To register your interest in a deckhand Course, please use the online form. If you would like further information about this, or any of the M.A.S.T. courses, please call on 1300 302 123.
Units of competency
GPH (General Purpose Hand) Course Information
Full title: MAR10313 Certificate I in Maritime Operations (General Purpose Hand Near Coastal)
- MARB001 Assist with routine maintenance of a vessel
- MARF001 Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 Survive at sea using survival craft
- MARG001 Work effectively as part of a crew on a vessel up to 80 metres
- MARN001 Apply deckhand skills aboard a vessel
- MARO001 Perform basic lookout duties