Marine Engine Driver Grade 2
15 Days plus 2 days for the Elements of Shipboard Safety units 26th and 27th June (if needed)
15 Days plus 2 days for the Elements of Shipboard Safety units – call for dates.(if needed)
ESS units: MARF001, MARF002, MARF004, MARF005
Many students will have completed the ESS units in previous maritime qualifications
From approximately $1480 For NSW residents qualifying for a Government subsidy under Smart and Skilled training subsidy for first qualification.
Unsubsidised cost is $1,905
With Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 (MED 2) training courses from Maritime and Safety Training, you’ll get all of the necessary training to work as safely and comfortably as possible in Australian near coastal waters. MED 2 training involves becoming the chief engineer on a vessel with propulsion power of < 750 KW in the Economic Exclusion Zone, also commonly referred to as the EEZ. Additionally, you get to be the second engineer on a vessel with propulsion power of < 1500 KW, also in the EEZ. Intensive M.A.S.T. training courses will equip you with the knowledge, skill and theory training that you need to further your career.
Units of competency:
Full title: MAR30813 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- MARB006 Maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant, and auxiliary systems
- MARB007 Undertake basic maintenance of electrical systems
- MARC001 Complete engine room tasks
- MARC002 Maintain hull out of water
- MARC003 Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- MARC004 Operate deck machinery
- MARC007 Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARC008 Manage fuel systems
- MARC009 Operate and monitor marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant, and auxiliary systems
- MARC010 Operate electrical systems
- MARF001Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 Survive at sea using survival craft
- MARJ001 Follow environmental work practices
MAR30813 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) N.B. AMSA sea time requirements, AMSA final assessment, first aid, eyesight and medical certificates will have to be met for AMSA to issue your MED 2 NC Certificate of Operation
This course is designed for students who have achieved 80% of the AMSA sea time requirements for Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency
20 hours pre course study is also required – Learner guides supplied on enrolment
Upon successful completion of the MED 2 course, you will be issued with a Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) MAR30813. To learn more about what it means to be a Marine Engine Driver and what an important decision it really is, visit our Marine Engine Driver page.
How to Enrol for MED 2
To find out more information about Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 training, call 1300 302 123 for course information or visit the following link to download a PDF resource from AMSA.gov.au: https://www.amsa.gov.au/forms-and-publications/AMSA724.pdf. Courses are available across all Australian states.
Simply enter your details into the “Register Now” box below and one of our team will contact you to discuss the next steps.