Marine Engine Driver Grade 2
15 Days plus 2 days for the Elements of Shipboard Safety units 26th and 27th June (if needed)
15 Days plus 2 days for the Elements of Shipboard Safety units – call for dates.(if needed)
ESS units: MARF001, MARF002, MARF004, MARF005
Many students will have completed the ESS units in previous maritime qualifications
From approximately $1480 For NSW residents qualifying for a Government subsidy under Smart and Skilled training subsidy for first qualification.
Unsubsidised cost is $1,905
With Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 (MED 2) training courses from Maritime and Safety Training, you’ll get all of the necessary training to work as safely and comfortably as possible in Australian near coastal waters. MED 2 training involves becoming the chief engineer on a vessel with propulsion power of < 750 KW in the Economic Exclusion Zone, also commonly referred to as the EEZ. Additionally, you get to be the second engineer on a vessel with propulsion power of < 1500 KW, also in the EEZ. Intensive M.A.S.T. training courses will equip you with the knowledge, skill and theory training that you need to further your career.
Units of competency:
Full title: MAR30813 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal)
- BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
- MARB006 Maintain marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant, and auxiliary systems
- MARB007 Undertake basic maintenance of electrical systems
- MARC001 Complete engine room tasks
- MARC002 Maintain hull out of water
- MARC003 Operate and maintain extra low and low voltage electrical systems and equipment
- MARC004 Operate deck machinery
- MARC007 Operate marine internal combustion engines, and propulsion and auxiliary systems
- MARC008 Manage fuel systems
- MARC009 Operate and monitor marine internal combustion engines, propulsion plant, and auxiliary systems
- MARC010 Operate electrical systems
- MARF001Apply basic survival skills in the event of vessel abandonment
- MARF002 Follow procedures to minimise and fight fires on board a vessel
- MARF004 Meet work health and safety requirements
- MARF005 Survive at sea using survival craft
- MARJ001 Follow environmental work practices
MAR30813 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) N.B. AMSA sea time requirements, AMSA final assessment, first aid, eyesight and medical certificates will have to be met for AMSA to issue your MED 2 NC Certificate of Operation
This course is designed for students who have achieved 80% of the AMSA sea time requirements for Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 NC Certificate of Competency
20 hours pre course study is also required – Learner guides supplied on enrolment
Upon successful completion of the MED 2 course, you will be issued with a Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 Near Coastal) MAR30813. To learn more about what it means to be a Marine Engine Driver and what an important decision it really is, visit our Marine Engine Driver page.
How to Enrol for MED 2
To find out more information about Marine Engine Driver Grade 2 training, call 1300 302 123 for course information. Courses are available across all Australian states.
Simply enter your details into the “Register Now” box below and one of our team will contact you to discuss the next steps.