Maritime and Safety Training offers same day, practical boat licencing courses across metropolitan and regional NSW and Victoria
Boat Licence Course for NSW
It is now a requirement of NSW RMS to complete practical, on-water training as a compulsory practical component to obtaining a Boat Licence. Our training options are listed below. Give us a call on 1300 302 123 if you need help in deciding which option is best for you, your family or your group.
For dates, times and locations see our 'Venues' page.
General Boat Licence
About the course
Duration: Approximately 3 hours for seminar and test plus 2 hours on water training. When you have successfully completed one of our comprehensive GENERAL BOAT safety training programs and exam, you will obtain an application for licence (completed at the course). Present the application along with the licence fee and completed logbook to NSW Government Service Centre. This will qualify you for a GENERAL BOAT LICENCE without further testing.
About the logbook
There are 2 ways to complete your logbook:
- Do 3 trips with a friend who has held their General Boat Licence for at least 3 years and complete the activities listed. The logbook is activity based (not based on hours).
- Do 1 trip on board our training vessel. This course runs for approximately 2 hours and will fulfill your logbook requirements to get a boat licence.
About the exam
- 50 multiple choice questions
- First 20 questions must all be answered correctly
- Next 30 questions must have 24 correct answers
- If you fail the first attempt a second attempt may be made immediately
- If you fail the second attempt you may re-sit at a later date at any of our training centres at no extra charge. You can also attend any of our seminars at no cost if you feel you need further training.
General Boat Licence - Costs
- Seminar and Test: $105 Adults
- Seminar and Test: $85 Young Adult (12 - 15 years old)
- On board Practical Training: $140
Maritime and Safety Training Victoria
Recognised by Transport Safety Victoria as an accredited training provider. We can provide you with everything you need to get your Victorian Boat Licence by attending one of our Victorian Boat Licence Courses.
Based in Albury/Wodonga and on the Mornington Peninsula we are willing and able to travel to almost anywhere in Victoria to run a Victorian Boat Licence Course for you. Minimum numbers may apply.
About The Course
The Boating Safety Course (BSC), revision and licence exam is conducted in a friendly and relaxed environment, typically taking about 4 to 4½ hours. Our BSC is the ideal way to learn what is expected of you in order to pass the licence exam and get your Victorian Boat Licence.
Once you have successfully completed our comprehensive MARINE (BOAT) training program you will be issued with a ‘Transport Safety Victoria – Certificate Of Attainment For Marine Licence Training’. This certificate is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. Simply present your Certificate of Attainment at your local Vic Roads Office, along with the Marine Licence fee and you will be issued with your Victorian Marine Licence. There are no further courses or exams to complete.
About The Exam
- 30 multiple choice questions
- You are permitted to get up to 4 answers incorrect in order to pass the exam
- If you fail your first attempt a second attempt may be made immediately
- If you fail the second attempt you may resit the exam at a later date at any of our Victorian courses. You can also attend another course if you feel like you need further training, all at no additional cost.
- Seminar and test: $120 Adults
- Seminar and test: $100 Restricted (Aged between 12 and 16 years of age)
- Seminar and test: $60 PWC Endorsement
Receive our latest offers and discounts on all of our training courses and certificates!