Boat Licence NSW
Maritime and Safety Training offers same day, practical boat licensing courses across metropolitan and regional NSW.
It is now a requirement of NSW RMS to complete practical, on-water training as a compulsory practical component to obtaining a Boat Licence.
Please contact us at 1300 302 123 to discuss your specific training needs or whether you require assistance in selecting a suitable course for yourself, a family member or group booking.
NSW Fishing Industry Training Committee (trading as Maritime and Safety Training), ABN: 64 002 693 281 RTO ID: 90440 is approved by NSW Maritime to provide practical boat training and/or knowledge testing for the NSW general boat driving licence and PWC driving licence.
To make a booking or enquire about a recreational boating course, simply call/email the contact person listed for each region.
Central Coast - Delivered by us; Maritime and Safety Training NSW.
Botany Bay - Play Hard Jet ski Hire - Sydney's only complete Jet Ski Hire & Training Specialists.
- Call Natasha on 0498 578 057 or visit www.playhardjetskihire.com.au
Newcastle, Port Stephens NSW, New England, Mid-north Coast and Hunter Region
- Call Kelly Buckland on 0421 866 771 or email [email protected]
Western Sydney, NSW - Delivered by us; Maritime and Safety Training - Wednesdays & Sundays.
- Call Stuart on 02 4731 6250 or 0425 284 949 or email [email protected]
Duration: Each training program is approximately 3.5 hours for the training seminar and exam. Plus approximately 2.5 hours for the on water training.
When you have successfully completed one of our comprehensive GENERAL BOAT safety training programs and exam, you will obtain an application for a licence (completed at the course). Present the application along with the licence fee and completed logbook to NSW Government Service Centre. This will qualify you for a GENERAL BOAT LICENCE without any further testing.
About the logbook
There are 2 ways to complete your logbook:
- Do 3 trips with a friend who has held their General Boat Licence for at least 3 years and complete the activities listed. The logbook is activity based (not based on hours).
- Do 1 trip on board our training vessel. This course runs for approximately 2.5 hours and will fulfil your practical training requirements to get a boat licence.
- 50 multiple choice questions
- First 30 questions must have 24 correct answers.
- Last 20 questions must all be answered correctly.
- If you fail the first attempt a second attempt may be made immediately
- If you fail the second attempt you may re-sit at a later date at any of our training centres at no extra charge. You can also attend any of our training seminars at no cost if you feel you need further training.
General Boat and PWC Licence course costs:
- General boat seminar and Test: $165 Adults
- General boat seminar and Test: $145 Young Adult (12 - 15 years old)
- General Boat Seminar, test and practical: $345 (young adult $325)
- General Boat seminar, practical plus PWC: $405 (young adult $385)
- General Boat seminar with PWC upgrade with no practical: $260
- PWC Upgrade Only (if you already hold a NSW Boat Licence): $140
- Practical only: $200
$20 discount on all courses for persons under 16 years of age.
Contacting NSW Roads and Maritime is another way of making a complaint.. Page 20 refers to our complaints policy and page 37 contains our Complaints and Appeals form.
NSW FITC will liaise with sensitivity to the needs of vulnerable applicants, such as individuals who are not fluent in English or have an intellectual or physical disability.