Boat Licence NSW
Maritime and Safety Training offers same day, practical boat licencing courses across metropolitan and regional NSW.
It is now a requirement of NSW RMS to complete practical, on-water training as a compulsory practical component to obtaining a Boat Licence. Our training options are listed below. Give us a call on 1300 302 123 if you need help in deciding which option is best for you, your family or your group.
General Boat Licence
About Boat Licence Course
Duration: Approximately 3.5 hours for seminar and test plus approximatly 2.5 hours on water training. When you have successfully completed one of our comprehensive GENERAL BOAT safety training programs and exam, you will obtain an application for licence (completed at the course). Present the application along with the licence fee and completed logbook to NSW Government Service Centre. This will qualify you for a GENERAL BOAT LICENCE without further testing.
About the logbook
There are 2 ways to complete your logbook:
- Do 3 trips with a friend who has held their General Boat Licence for at least 3 years and complete the activities listed. The logbook is activity based (not based on hours).
- Do 1 trip on board our training vessel. This course runs for approximately 2.5 hours and will fulfil your practical training requirements to get a boat licence.
About the exam
- 50 multiple choice questions
- First 20 questions must all be answered correctly
- Next 30 questions must have 24 correct answers
- If you fail the first attempt a second attempt may be made immediately
- If you fail the second attempt you may re-sit at a later date at any of our training centres at no extra charge. You can also attend any of our seminars at no cost if you feel you need further training.
General Boat and PWC Licence course - Costs:
- General boat seminar and Test: $140 Adults
- General boat seminar and Test: $120 Young Adult (12 - 15 years old)
- PWC Upgrade $80 with GB course. $95 stand alone course and test (young adult $75)
- General Boat Seminar, test and practical $300 (young adult $280)
- GB plus PWC plus practical $370 (young adult $350)
Contacting NSW Roads and Maritime is another way of making a complaint.. Page 20 refers to our complaints policy and page 37 contains our Complaints and Appeals form.
NSW FITC will liaise with sensitivity to the needs of vulnerable Applicants, such as individuals who are not fluent in English or have an intellectual or physical disability.